Making an antislavery nation : Lincoln, Douglas, and the battle over freedom /
University of Illinois Press,
|Series:||SXU Author's Collection
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
Table of Contents:
- Prelude: an inheritance of slavery
- The nation's conflict over slavery in miniature: Illinois, 1818-1824
- Democrats, Whigs, and party conflict, 1825-1842
- Manifest Destiny, slavery, and the rupture of the Democratic Party, 1843-1847
- Advocates for an antislavery nation, 1837-1848
- Stephen A. Douglas and the northern democratic origins of the Kansas-Nebraska Act, 1849-1854
- The collapse of the Douglas democracy, 1854-1860
- Abraham Lincoln and the triumph of an antislavery nationalism, 1854-1860
- Conclusion: the northern Democrats' dilemma over slavery.