Gettysburg : the last invasion /
From the acclaimed Civil War historian, a new history--the most intimate and richly readable account we have had--of the climactic three-day battle of Gettysburg (July 1-3, 1863), which draws the reader into the heat, smoke, and grime of Gettysburg alongside the ordinary soldier, and depicts the com...
|Published:||New York : Vintage Books 2014.|
|Edition:||First Vintage Books edition.|
|Series:||Vintage Civil War library.
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
- Part 1, The march up :
- 1. People who will not give in
- 2. There were never such men in an army before
- 3. This campaign is going to end this show
- 4. A perfectly surplus body of men
- 5. Victory will inevitably attend our arms
- 6. A goggle-eyed old snapping turtle
- 7. A universal panic prevails
- 8. You will have to fight like the devil to hold your own
- Part 2, The first day :
- 9. The devil's to pay
- 10. You stand alone, between the Rebel Army and your homes!
- 11. The dutch run and leave us to fight
- 12. Go in, South Carolina
- 13. If the enemy is there to-morrow, we must attack him
- Part 3, The second day :
- 14. One of the bigger bubbles of the scum
- 15. You are to hold this ground at all costs
- 16. I have never been in a hotter place
- 17. The supreme moment of the war had come
- 18. Remember Harper's Ferry
- 19. We are the Louisiana Tigers!
- 20. Let us have no more retreats
- Part 4, The third day :
- 21. The general plan of attack was unchanged
- 22. Are you going to do your duty today?
- 23. The shadow of a cloud across a sunny field
- 24. As clear a defeat as our army ever met with
- 25. There is bad faith somewhere
- 26. To sweep and plunder the battle grounds.