Girls in power : gender, body, and menstruation in adolescence /
|Published:||Albany : State University of New York Press, c2006.|
|Online Access:||Table of contents only |
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
Table of Contents:
- Menstruation is...
- Salient Body Experiences
- The Teen Participants
- The Interviewers
- Analysis of the Data
- Organization of This Book
- 2. Negative and Ambivalent Experiences
- Concealment and Shame
- The Horrors of Leaking
- "Why I Never Carry a Purse"
- The Body as Actor
- What If It Gets Stuck?
- Tampax Ads in a Room Full of Boys
- The Checkout Boy
- "Surfin' the Crimson Wave"
- "It's Not a Big Deal"
- 3. Cultural Contexts
- Cultural History of Menstruation
- Concealment and Hygiene
- Contemporary Views and Advice
- Historical Context of Health and Medicine
- The Family
- Media, Advertising, and Merchandising
- 4. Medicalization and Gender Politics of the Body
- Medicalization of Menstruation
- Fifth-Grade Health Class
- Menstruation as a Reproductive Issue
- What About the Blood?
- Every Single Month Forever and Ever
- Menstrual Suppression?
- The Value of Female Bodies
- What If Men Could Menstruate?
- Understanding Gender
- Living in Our Bodies
- 5. Girls in Power
- Agency and Power
- Creatively Responding to Dominant Social Norms
- Forging Connections
- "I Don't Think Boys Could Handle It"
- Menstruation Is Social
- Getting "It"
- Stories and Supportive Talk
- What's Normal
- How Embarrassing!
- But Adults Don't Talk This Way!
- Interviewing in Community Groups
- Isn't Menstruation a Personal Event?
- "We Should Just Create a Women's Store"
- 6. Boys' Responses
- Knowledge Is Power
- Blaming Menstruation
- "Grossing Them Out"
- Menstruation as a Sexual Issue
- Boys' Jokes
- Who Has the Power?
- Embarrassing and Teasing Girls
- Girls' Advantages
- Expressing Power: Second and Third Wave Feminism
- Potential for Manipulation
- Alternate Responses by Boys
- "My Friend Kristin Explained..."
- Beef Jerky
- 7. Conclusion: Bodies in Interaction
- The Teens' Concluding Thoughts
- Different Interpretations
- Social Interactions and Gendered Power
- Menstrual Celebrations
- Reflections on Research Methods
- Appendix A. Participants in Individual and Group Interviews
- Appendix B. Interview Guides
- Individual Interviews
- Group Interviews
Descriptive content provided by Syndetics™, a Bowker service.