Robespierre : a revolutionary life /
Chronicles the life and times of the French Revolutionary figure, looking at little known aspects, including his nervousness, lust for power, and role in "the Terror."
|Published:||New Haven : Yale University Press, c2012.|
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
Table of Contents:
- List of Illustrations
- List of Abbreviations
- Introduction: 'Clay in the hands of writers'
- Map of France
- 1. A 'serious, grown-up, hardworking' little boy: Arras 1758-69
- 2. 'An extremely strong desire to succeed': Paris 1769-81
- 3. 'Such a talented man': Arras 1781-84
- 4. 'Bachelorhood seems to encourage rebelliousness': Arras 1784-89
- 5. "We are winning': Versailles 1789
- 6. 'Daring to clean out the Augean stables': Paris 1789-91
- 7. 'Numerous and implacable enemies': Arras 1791
- 8. 'The Vengeance of the People': Paris 1791-92
- 9. 'Did you want a Revolution without Revolution?': Paris 1792-93
- 10. 'A complete regeneration': Paris, July-December 1793
- 11. 'Men with changing tongues': Paris, January-June 1794
- 12. 'The unhappiest man alive': Paris, July 1794
- Epilogue: 'That modern Procrustes'
Descriptive content provided by Syndetics™, a Bowker service.