The transferred life of George Eliot : the biography of a novelist /
Reading George Eliot's work was described by one Victorian critic as like the feeling of entering the confessional in which she sees and hears all the secrets of human psychology-'that roar which lies on the other side of silence'. This new biography of George Eliot goes beyond the mu...
|Published:||Oxford : Oxford University Press, 2017.|
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
- List of Illustrations
- List of Plates
- 1. Family Likenesses, 1819-42
- 2. The Valley of Humiliation: The Single Woman, 1840-51
- 3. Three Translations
- 4. The Two Loves of 1852:1. Herbert Spencer
- 5. The Two loves of 1852: 2. George Henry Lewes
- 6. 'The first time' in the 'new era': Scenes of Clerical Life, 1856-7
- 7. Adam Bede: 'The Other Side of the Commonplace', 1857-9
- 8. The Mill on the Floss: 'My problems are purely psychical', 1859-60: Psychology and the Levels of Thought
- 9. 'Great Facts Have Struggled to Find a Voice': The Toll of the 1860s
- 10. Middlemarch: Realism and Thoughtworld, 1869-71
- 11. Daniel Deronda: The Great Transmitter and the Last Experiment, 1873-6
- The End
- Select Bibliography
Descriptive content provided by Syndetics™, a Bowker service.