After the Revolution : profiles of early American culture /
|Published:||New York : W. Norton, c1979.|
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
Table of Contents:
- Part 1. Premonitions and Paradoxes in the Revolutionary Era
- Chapter 1. Premonitions: An American Athens
- Chapter 2. Paradoxes: Culture and Capitalism
- Part 2. Profiles
- Chapter 3. Charles Willson Peale: Portrait of the American Artist as Virtuous Entrepreneur
- Chapter 4. Hugh Henry Brackenridge: The Novelist as Reluctant Democrat
- Chapter 5. William Dunlap: The Dramatist as Benevolent Patriarch
- Chapter 6. Noah Webster: The Connecticut Yankee as Nationalist
- Epilogue: New Critics: Toward Emerson
Descriptive content provided by Syndetics™, a Bowker service.