Useful knowledge : the Victorians, morality, and the march of intellect /
|Published:||Durham, NC : Duke University Press, 2001.|
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
Table of Contents:
- Introduction: Knowledge and the Novel
- 1. Food for Thought: The Dissemination of Knowledge in the Early Nineteenth Century
- 2. Science in the Popular Novel: Jane Webb Loudon's The Mummy!
- 3. The Monstrous Body of Knowledge: Mary Shelley's Frankenstein
- 4. Lessons Learned in Class: Charlotte Brontë's The Professor
- 5. The Tailor Transformed: Charles Kingsley's Alton Locke
- 6. Destiny as an Unmapped River: George Eliot's The Mill on the Floss
Descriptive content provided by Syndetics™, a Bowker service.