Downtown America : a history of the place and the people who made it /
|Published:||Chicago : University of Chicago Press, c2004.|
|Series:||Historical studies of urban America
|Related Information:||Publisher description |
Contributor biographical information |
Table of contents |
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
Table of Contents:
- List of Illustrations
- Introduction Beyond Decline: Assessing the Values of Urban Commercial Life in the Twentieth Century
- 1. City Beautiful or Beautiful Mess? The Gendered Origins of a Civic Ideal
- 2. Fixing an Image of Commercial Dignity: Postcards and the Business of Planning Main Street
- 3. ""Mrs. Consumer,"" ""Mrs. Brown America,"" and ""Mr. Chain Store Man"": Economic Woman and the Laws of Retail
- 4. Main Street's Interior Frontier: Innovation amid Depression and War
- 5. ""The Demolition of Our O
Descriptive content provided by Syndetics™, a Bowker service.