God's perfect child : living and dying in the Christian Science Church /
"Millions of Americans - from Lady Astor to Carol Burnett, Ginger Rogers to H.R. Haldeman - have been touched by the teachings of the Church of Christ, Scientist. Founded by Mary Baker Eddy in 1879, Christian Science is based on the idea that an intense contemplation of the perfection of God an...
|Published:||New York : Metropolitan Books, 1999.|
|Related Information:||Contributor biographical information |
Publisher description |
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
- God's perfect child : At the first Church of Christ, Scientist, Mercer Island ; Raising the dead ; The cross and the crown ; I tip my hat
- pt. I. Mary Baker Eddy: "Mere historic incidents" : "A very general acquaintance" ; "Mere historic incidents" ; "An agreeable variety of pain" ; Mother Mary ; "Gems of truth" and "dewdrops of wisdom" ; Doctor P.P. Quimby and his disciple ; The fall in Lynn ; Healing and head-rubbing ; Science and Health, first edition ; "A touch of fanaticism" ; "I shall never again trust a man" ; "Take up Spofford" ; "A demonic strain" ; Science and Health, second and third editions ; "Mesmeric poison"
- pt. II. "You will have to learn to love me more": Mrs. Eddy builds her empire : Footman Frye ; The Boston craze ; "Mind-quacks" ; At the Massachusetts Metaphysical College ; Metaphysical obstetrics ; Another son ; The Mother Church ; M.A.M. at Pleasant View ; "A power not one's own" ; The C.O.P. and "the corrective work" ; Mark Twain and "that shameless old swindler, Mother Eddy" ; Radical reliance and Mrs. Eddy's teeth ; The "excelsior extension" and the "next friends" ; Willa Cather's secret ; "Call it the Christian Science Monitor" ; The Stetson problem ; "A combination of sinners that was fast" ; Science and Health, 1910 edition ; Postscript: "Mrs. Eddy's place." pt. III. "Nothing has gone right since 1910": Christian Science after death : The telephone in the tomb ; The great litigation ; Lady Astor leads the way ; Nothing succeeds like supply ; "Three cheers for the Christian Scientists" ; Healing in Hollywood ; "The blight that failed" ; Paul Revere rides again ; Behind the scenes with the metaphysicians ; "The President's son of a bitch" ; The Kerry letters
- pt. IV. "God's law": Christian Science goes to court : Breaking the law ; Writing the law ; The child cases ; Gaslight ; Fruitage ; Inside the sanatoriums ; The child cases come to Boston
- pt. V. "God's requirement": Christian Science on the air : Mrs. Eddy and Mr. Ed
- "To live for all mankind" ; "Betting the company" ; "One spooky operation" ; "USA yesterday" ; "The big room" ; The dissidents and The Destiny of the Mother Church ; The facts ; "Schisms in our church" ; A cancer ; "My child is dead"
- pt. VI "God will do the rest": resurrecting Christian Science : "God will do the rest" ; Science and Health for the new age ; Accentuating the positive ; Eliminating the negative ; Remarkable providences.