Limits of the human /
Limits of the Human-the third volume in the Mechademia series-maps the terrain of posthumanity using manga and anime as guides and signposts to understand how to think about humanity's new potentialities and limits. Through a wide range of texts-the folklore-inspired monsters that populate Mizu...
|Published:||Minneapolis, Minn. : University of Minnesota Press, ©2008.|
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
- Preface : The limits of the human / Frenchy Lunning
- Introduction : The limits of "The limits of the human" / Christopher Bolton
- Contours: around the human : Refiguring the human / Mark C. Taylor
- The otherworlds of Mizuki Shigeru / Michael Dylan Foster
- Extreme makeover for a Heian-era wizard / Laura Miller
- Undressing and dressing Loli: a search for the identity of the Japanese Lolita / Theresa Winge
- Manga: Komatopia / Natusume Fusanosuke
- Companions: with the human : Speciesism, part I: Translating races into animals in wartime animation / Thomas LaMarre
- Stigmata in Tezuka Osamu's works / Yomota Inuhiko
- Disarming atom: Tezuka Osamu's manga at war and peace / Otsuka Eiji
- States of emergency: urban space and the robotic body in the Metropolis tales / Lawrence Bird
- Emotional infectivity: cyborg affect and the limits of the human / Sharalyn Orbaugh
- Manga: the signal of noise / written and adapted by Adèle-Elise Prévost, illus. by Musebasement
- Compossibles: of the human : Gundam and the future of Japanoid art / Takayuki Tatsumi, translated, with a response by Christopher Bolton
- Pop culture icons: religious inflections of the character toy in Taiwan / Teri Silvio
- Machinic desires: Hans Bellmer's Dolls and the technological uncanny in Ghost in the shell 2: innocence / Steven T. Brown
- Postscript: On "the living" / Cary Wolfe
- Review and commentary : A healing gentle apocalypse: Yokohama kaidashi kikō / Marc Hairston ; Lost in transition: train men and dolls in millennial Japan / Susan Napier ; Howl's moving castle / Antonia Levi ; Playing outside the box with Mind game / Paul Jackson ; From transnationalization to globalization: the experience of Hong Kong / Wendy Siuyi Wong ; "Always exoticize!" Cyborg identities and the challenge of the nonhuman in Full metal Apache / Joshua Paul Dale
- Postmodern in old hat: Samūrai Champloo / William L. Benzon
- Torendo : Giant robots and superheroes: manifestations of divine power, East meets West: An interview with Crispin Freeman / Frenchy Lunning.