Back channel to Cuba : the hidden history of negotiations between Washington and Havana /
"Challenging the conventional wisdom of perpetual hostility between the United States and Cuba--beyond invasions, covert operations, assassination plots using poison pens and exploding seashells, and a grinding economic embargo--this fascinating book chronicles a surprising, untold history of b...
|Published:||Chapel Hill : The University of North Carolina Press, 2014.|
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
- Introduction. Rebuilding bridges
- Eisenhower : patience and forbearance
- Kennedy : the secret search for accommodation
- Johnson : Castro reaches out
- Nixon and Ford : Kissinger's Caribbean détente
- Carter : close, but no cigar
- Reagan and Bush : diplomatic necessity
- Clinton : from calibrated response to parallel positive steps
- George W. Bush : turning back the clock
- Obama : a new beginning?
- Intimate adversaries, possible friends.