The republican alternative : the Netherlands and Switzerland compared /
The Netherlands and Switzerland are among the world's most economically successful societies. Their inhabitants enjoy high standards of living and express great satisfaction with their lives according to surveys. This despite serious natural handicaps, such as a lack of raw materials and an abu...
|Published:||[Amsterdam] : Amsterdam University Press, ©2008.|
|Online Access:||eBook Academic Collection (EBSCOhost) Current AU students, faculty, and staff, click here for full text.|
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
- Introduction : the Dutch and Swiss republics compared / André Holenstein, Thomas Maissen, and Maarten Prak
- 'The league of the discordant members, ' or, How the old Swiss confederation operated and how it managed to survive for so long / Andreas Würgler
- Challenges for the republic : coordination and loyalty in the Dutch republic / Maarten Prak
- Bridging the gap : confessionalisation in Switzerland / Francisca Loetz
- Was the Dutch republic a Calvinist community? The state, the confessions and culture in the early modern Netherlands / Willem Frijhoff
- Inventing the sovereign republic : imperial structures, French challenges, Dutch models and the early modern Swiss confederation / Thomas Maissen
- Turning Swiss? Discord in the Dutch debates / Martin van Gelderen
- The content, form and function of Swiss and Dutch images of history / Olaf Mörke
- Republican art? Dutch and Swiss art and art-production compared / Michael North
- The Dassier workshop in Geneva and the Netherlands : two Calvinist republics expressed in medallic form, 1695-1748 / William Eisler
- Exporting mercenaries, money and Mennonites : a Swiss diplomatic mission to The Hague, 1710-1715 / Stefan Altorfer-Ong
- Republican risks : commerce and agriculture in the Dutch republic / Ida Nijenhuis
- Republican futures : the image of Holland in 18th-century Swiss reform discourse / Béla Kapossy
- Radical elements and attempted revolutions in the late-18th-century republics / Marc Lerner
- Debating the republic : a conference report / Daniel Schläppi.