Splendidly Victorian : essays in nineteenth- and twentieth-century British history in honour of Walter L. Arnstein /
"The eminent historian of Victorian Britain, Walter L. Arnstein has, over the course of a career spanning more than 40 years, arguably introduced more students to British history than any other American historian. This collection of essays by some of his former students celebrates Arnstein'...
|Published:||Aldershot ; Burlington, VT : Ashgate, ©2001.|
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
- List of Illustrations and Tables
- Notes on Contributors
- 1.. Walter L. Arnstein, Teacher and Mentor / Michael H. Shirley and Todd E.A. Larson
- 2.. Walter L. Arnstein: A Collegial and Personal Appreciation / Paul W. Schroeder
- 3.. 'The Prince of Whales': Caricature, Charivari, and the Politics of Morality / Tamara Hunt
- 4.. Advertising the Army: Political Aesthetics and British Army Fashion, 1815-1855 / Scott Hughes Myerly
- 5.. Free Trade Radicals, Education, and Moral Improvement in Early Victorian England / Richard F. Spall, Jr.
- 6.. Chartists After Chartism: Reynolds's Newspaper and Mid-Victorian Political Reform / Michael H. Shirley
- 7.. 'A Whig Private Secretary is in itself fatal': Benjamin Disraeli, Lord Derby, Party Politics and Naval Administration, 1852 / John Beeler
- 8.. 'Debtor to the Greeks and the Barbarians': Religious Periodicals and their Influence in the Victorian Prelude / Marsh Wilkinson Jones
- 9.. Pyrrhic Victory? The Bismarck Myth and the Congress of Berlin in the British Review Press, 1878-79 / Todd E.A. Larson
- 10.. The London Missionary Society's Mongolian Missions: British Insights into the 'Great Game' In Asia / Helen S. Hundley
- 11.. The Nineteenth-Century British Townscape and the Return of the Market Place to Victorian History / James Schmiechen
- 12.. Cinemas and their Managers in Depression England: a Social Function / Stephen Shafer
- 13.. 'I used to take her to the doctor's and get the proper thing': Twentieth-Century Health Care Choices in Lancashire Working-Class Communities / Lucinda McCray Beier
- Walter L. Arnstein: a Bibliography
Descriptive content provided by Syndetics™, a Bowker service.