Poverty amidst prosperity : the urban poor in England, 1834-1914 /
|Published:||Manchester ; New York : Manchester University Press ; New York : Distributed exclusively in the USA and Canada by St. Martin's Press, ©1995.|
|Series:||New frontiers in history.
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
Table of Contents:
- Introduction: what is poverty?
- 1. The extent of poverty. Two nations. The investigation of urban poverty. Poverty and class. Poverty lines
- 2. The causes of poverty. Poverty: personal failings or economic forces? Poverty and the unskilled. Poverty and the skilled. Poverty and people with disabilities. Poverty and age. Poverty and gender. Poverty and ethnicity
- 3. The environment of poverty. Poverty and housing. Poverty and health
- 4. Reactions to poverty. Poverty: punishment and philanthropy. Poverty: physical inefficiency and social reform. Poverty and the residuum
- 5. Living in poverty. The abyss. Neighbourhoods.