Harlem in review : critical reactions to Black American writers, 1917-1939 /
Harlem in Review charts critical responses to black American writers in the 1920s and 1930s. Based on broad research into American and African-American journals and newspapers, it includes more than a thousand annotated items and an introduction surveying major issues in the criticism. The Harlem Re...
|Published:||Selinsgrove : Susquehanna University Press ; London ; Cranbury, NJ : Associated University Presses, ©1992.|
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
- 1. The Early Years, 1917-1923. Fifty Years and Other Poems. Darkwater. Harlem Shadows. The Book of American Negro Poetry. Bronze. Cane. Criticism and Scholarship, 1917-1923
- 2. Renaissance in Fiction and Verse, 1924-1927. Negro Poets and Their Poems. An Anthology of Verse by American Negroes. There Is Confusion. The Fire in the Flint. The Gift of Black Folk. Color. The New Negro. The Weary Blues. Flight. Tropic Death. Fine Clothes to the Jew. God's Trombones. Copper Sun. Autobiography of an Ex-Colored Man. Caroling Dusk. Plays of Negro Life. Criticism and Scholarship, 1924-1927
- 3. Controversy Over Fiction of Race, 1928-1933. Home to Harlem. The Ballad of the Brown Girl. Quicksand. Dark Princess. The Walls of Jericho. An Autumn Love Cycle. The Blacker the Berry. Plum Bun. Banjo. Passing. The Black Christ and Other Poems. The Anthology of American Negro Literature. Not Without Laughter. Black Manhattan. Black No More. God Sends Sunday. The Book of American Negro Poet. Essentials: Definitions and Aphorisms. Slaves Today. The Chinaberry Tree. Infants of the Spring. One Way to Heaven. Gingertown. Southern Road. The Dream Keeper and Other Poems. Conjure Man Dies. Banana Bottom. Along This Way. Comedy: American Style. Criticism and Scholarship, 1928-1933
- 4. Writing in the Great Depression, 1934-1939. Jonah's Gourd Vine. The Ways of White Folks. Ollie Miss. Mules and Men. The Medea and Some Poems. St. Peter Relates an Incident: Selected Poems. Black Man's Verse. Black Thunder. A Long Way from Home. River George. Their Eyes Were Watching God. These Low Grounds. I Am the American Negro. Uncle Tom's Children. Tell My Horse. Drums at Dusk. Let Me Breathe Thunder. To Make a Poet Black. O Canaan! Moses, Man of the Mountain. Criticism and Scholarship, 1934-1939
- 5. Appendix: Selected Criticism, 1940-1944. The Big Sea. Dusk of Dawn: An Essay Toward an Autobiography of a Race Concept. Harlem. The Lost Zoo. Heart-Shape in the Dust. Blood on the Forge. The Negro Caravan. Shakespeare in Harlem. Dust Tracks in the Road. No Day of Triumph. For My People. The White Face. New World a Coming. Rendezvous with America. Criticism and Scholarship, 1940-1944.