American Dietetic Association complete food and nutrition guide /
|Published:||Hoboken, N.J. : John Wiley & Sons, c2006.|
|Edition:||3rd ed., Rev. and updated.|
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
Table of Contents:
- Part I. Eat Smart, Live Well: It's about You!
- Chapter 1. Food Choices: A Fit You!
- Fitness: Your Overall Health!
- Smart Eating, Active Living: Guidelines for Americans
- Your Food Choices: The Inside Story
- Healthful Eating, Active Living: One Step at a Time!
- Part II. Healthful Eating: The Basics
- Chapter 2. Your Healthy Weight
- Body Basics: What's Your Healthy Weight?
- Energy Basics: Calorie Math?
- Weighing the Risks
- Weight Management: Strategies That Work!
- Too Thin-a Problem?
- Disordered Eating: Problems, Signs, and Help
- "Diets" That Don't Work!
- When You Need Help
- Chapter 3. Fat Facts
- Fats Matter
- Cholesterol: Different from Fat
- Too Much of a Good Thing?
- Chapter 4. Vitamins, Minerals, and Phytonutrients: Variety on Your Plate!
- Vitamins and Minerals: Team Players!
- Vitamins: The Basics
- Minerals-Not "Heavy Metal"
- Phytonutrients-a "Crop" for Good Health
- Chapter 5. Carbs: Simply Complex
- "Carbs": The Basics
- Carbohydrates and Health
- Carbohydrates in Food
- Sugar Alcohols: Sugar Replacers
- Intense Sweeteners: Flavor without Calories
- Chapter 6. Fiber: Your Body's Broom
- Fiber: It's Very Important!
- For Fiber-Variety!
- Chapter 7. Sodium and Potassium: A Salty Subject
- Sodium, Potassium, and Your Health
- Sodium in Your Food Choices
- Flavor . . . with Little Salt and Less Sodium
- Chapter 8. Fluids: The Power of Water
- A Fluid Asset
- What's to Drink?
- Part III. Smart Eating: The Consumer Marketplace
- Chapter 9. What's on Today's Table?
- Food: What's "in Store" for You?
- Ensuring Your Food Supply
- Chapter 10. Planning to Eat Smart
- My Pyramid: An Eating Guide for a Healthier You!
- Inside My Pyramid
- Everyday Challenges: Smart Eating Strategies!
- Chapter 11. Savvy Shopping
- Today's Food Labels
- Supermarket Psychology
- Your Shopping Guide
- Food Safety: Start at the Store
- Chapter 12. The Safe Kitchen
- Foodborne Illness: More Common than You Think!
- Checklist for a Clean Kitchen
- Safe Preparation and Service
- Quick Tips for Injury Prevention
- The "Eco Kitchen"
- Chapter 13. Kitchen Nutrition: Delicious Decisions
- "Resetting" Your Table . . . for Flavor and Health
- Simply Nutritious, Simply Delicious
- Add Life to Your Spices-and Herbs, Too!
- Chapter 14. Your Food Away from Home
- Dining Out for Health and Pleasure
- Eating Out Safely! Fast Food, Healthful Food
- Eating Out Ethnic Style
- Eating for Travelers
- Flavor on the Menu
- Part IV. Food for Health: Every Age, Every Stage of Life
- Chapter 15. Off to a Healthy Start
- Breast-Feeding Your Baby
- Another Healthful Option: Bottle-Feeding
- Solid Advice on Solid Foods
- Chapter 16. Food to Grow On
- Toddlers and Preschoolers: Food and Play for the Early Years
- School-Age Kids: Eat Smart, Move More
- Feeding the Teen Machine
- Chapter 17. For Women Only
- Childbearing Years: Nutrition, Menstruation, and Prepregnancy
- You're Expecting!For Those Who Breast-Feed
- Now for Menopause
- Chapter 18. For Mature Adults: Healthful Eating!
- Aged to Perfection!
- When Lifestyles Change
- Changes That Challenge
- Part V. Healthful Eating: Specia
Descriptive content provided by Syndetics™, a Bowker service.